To Dance With the White Dog

Monday, July 21, 2008

To Dance With the White Dog
by
Terry Kay
5/5 Stars

From the Publisher: To Dance With the White Dog is a gentle, moving story about an old man's final rite of passage, about family ties and the universal experience of grieving for a lost love. At the heart of the book is a mysterious white dog which appears after Sam Peek's beloved wife has died and stays with him until just before his own death.

Stray dog or phantom? To Sam, the dog is a guardian angel that bridges his final years with warmth and comfort. Sam Peek and his white dog will leap from the page into the reader's heart instantly. And the ending of the book is touching, amazing, and delightful all in one.

I first read this book when I was in college. At the time, this beautiful, tear-jerking story became one of my favorites. Almost 18 years later, I feel the same way. This story of grief, loss, love, and healing holds even deeper meaning for me now. This is a book I will keep in my collection -- to read over and over.

0 comments: