Painting a Picture

Wednesday, July 30, 2008



I just started The End of East by Jen Sookfong Lee, and the language she uses is just amazing. Lee's writing style is beautiful and poetic. Take the first paragraph, for example:


"At first, what frightened her about this place was the drizzle -- the omnipresent grey of morning, afternoon, and nightime too. She was afraid that she would slowly be leached of colour and that, one day, while she was combing her hair in the mirror, she would see that her reflection was as grey as the sky, sea and land that surrounded her. Everything she saw as she moved about the city was filtered through the mist -- dampened, weighed down, burdened."



This novel is set in Vancouver, Canada. I found this beautiful photo of Stanley Park online -- this kind of fog would act on my imagination too!



Wow! Talk about painting a picture...


1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Heh. I used to live in that part of the country and that's a pretty good description of winters on the coast. I'll have to add this to my wish list (like it needs to get longer!).